Cue Soundtrack: Lykke Li

I almost always have music playing when I sew. Certain songs now remind me of making specific items and the right playlist can keep me going like an energizer bunny for hours on end. So, you can say that music plays a pretty large role in my creative process, and I’d like to start sharing the music currently in heavy rotation while I work. What do you say?

I tend to obsess when I find new music that I like and I end up playing it over and over and over. Right now, it’s Lykke Li’s new album, Wounded Rhymes. It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of Lykke Li. She's been my favourite artist since I first heard her debut album, Youth Novel, back in 2008, and seeing her amazing live show in Toronto in 2009 only solidified her permanent place on my playlist. For a tiny, 24-year-old Swedish girl, she had such amazing energy and passion.

You can imagine my excitement upon the release of her second album in February of this year. I’ll admit I wasn’t sure if I liked it at first, as it’s quite different from her previous msuic, but it definitely grew on me as a darker, stripped down, almost tribal version of the Lykke Li I loved. Her first two singles (below) are fantastic, but after a few listens, it’s the quiet soulful songs, like Unrequited, that really stand out for me.  Have a listen and let me know what you think.

Happy weekend, everyone!





No comments