Fat Tuesday

My facebook and twitter followers may recall me talking a lot about the recipe I tried on Shrove Tuesday this year. I was shocked at how easy it was to make pancakes completely from scratch that were the fluffliest, tastiest flap jacks I'd ever had! Nice knowing you, Aunt Jemima! They were so easy and delicious that we've made Fat Tuesday a weekly event in our house ever since. Three pancake dinners (and extra pounds) later, I figured I couldn't not share the recipe here with you.

Disclaimer: Side effects may include blueberry tongue, batter butt, or maple syrupriosis.


Pancakes USA Stylie
via Jamie Oliver

3 large eggs
1/2 cup plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
pinch of salt

First separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another.
Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter.
Whisk the whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Call me lazy, but I could only achieve this by whisking with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.
Fold into the batter – it is now ready to use.

Heat a good non-stick pan on a medium heat. Pour some of your batter into the pan and fry for a couple of minutes until it starts to look golden and firm. At this point sprinkle your chosen flavouring on to the uncooked side before loosening with a spatula and flipping the pancake over. Continue frying until both sides are golden.

It makes about 6 medium-sized pancakes. Mike and I like to make 4 with blueberries and 2 with chocolate chips for dessert. Served with some breakfast sausages on the side, it's plenty for two!

No comments