Hamilton Happenings



Now that the craziness of the municipal election is behind us, we can put aside the preaching and promising and get back to work suppporting and enjoying our city again! Starting today and over the next couple weeks there are plenty of fun events featuring local artists, businesses, and charities. Take your pick. I'm also super excited to be taking a screenprinting workshop this Saturday at the Print Studio. Wish me luck!

Hamilton Film Festival: Nov. 2-7 / Staircase Theatre / 27 Dundurn St. N. / $8 / This year marks the 5th anniversary of this festival, which screens only independent local and international films. What draws me to this event is that they promise to have most of the filmmakers present for a Q&A session following the screenings, an experience that I always seem to get a lot out of, no matter how much I enjoyed the film.

AGH Art Sale "Style + Space": Nov. 4-7 / Art Gallery of Hamilton / This particular sale will feature not only paintings, but sculptures, glass, pottery, metal works, textiles, and jewellery as well. A perfect opportunity to start your Christmas shopping early (for yourself, if need be). There will also be a live musical performance by Annie Shaw on Thursday evening, and both a "vinyl-only" DJ and two interior design consultants available for personal consulation on Friday evening.

GenNext "A Night in Monte Carlo": Nov. 5th / 9pm / $20 / Royal Botanical Gardens / A fantastic night out in support of an excellent cause, the United Way. I attended this event last year and had a great time watching a few hands of blackjack (I'm still too chicken to play) and socializing in style. There were also plenty of excellent prizes to be won, although I didn't win any. There's always this year!

Musuem of Art Craft Fair: Nov. 10-12 / McMaster University / "Browse, shop and meet the makers of a wonderful and eclectic array of gift items including jewellery, toys, clothing, glass, turned wood and much much more. Support the local craft community and the arts in Hamilton." Another opportunity to pick up some unique Christmas gifts.

Art Crawl: Nov. 12 / James St. North / You know the drill -- local galleries, studios, and shops open to the public until around 11pm. I'm not sure what's on tap this month, but I do know that every time I go, I discover something new. Be sure to stop by White Elephant to see some select Dear Edna pieces on display.

Holiday Bazaars: I have fond memories of attending my own church's bazarre as a young'un... penny sales, raffles, crafty Christmas decorations, and homemade baked goodies galore. The Spec has a very extensive list here.

If you have any events to add, please feel free in the comments below.

Image via bostonbaglady

No comments