Love Brownies


 

Valentine's Day isn't a big deal in our house. I guess we're just not a teddy bears and poetry type of couple. But we're also not the type of couple that turns down an excuse to go out for dinner and stuff ourselves with sweets. So, in the spirit of things, I decided to whip something up for my honey this year. Unfortunately, all google turned up was a million and one heart-shaped sugar cookie recipes. That just wouldn't do for my chocoholic. I remembered this cake-decorating stencil technique I pinned awhile back and decided to try out a mini V-Day version on brownies. I don't have a tried and true brownie recipe either, so decided to give this one a whirl, trusting there was truth behind the title. Aside from a couple minor changes, they turned out pretty darn amazing. So dense and moist. And cute to boot! I don't know if they're the best brownies ever, but they're certainly the best I've ever made. Give them a try and let me know your vote. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Best Brownies
adapted from allrecipes.com

Brownies:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Icing:
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan. Usually for square recipes, I line the pan in foil so that I can more easily remove and cut them later. To each their own.

In a medium-large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook. Mine took a full 30 minutes.

To make frosting: combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Frost brownies while they are still warm. I found the frosting to be very dry and difficult to mix. Try adding a couple tablespoons of milk, combine with a spoon so the butter doesn't crumble and then mix with an electric beater until smooth.


To make the hearts, simply cut a one-inch heart out of paper, place over each brownie and lightly sprinkle with icing sugar. I used a small strainer to help me sprinkle. Ta da!

No comments