Tea Time

My name is Erin and I'm a tea addict. It's true. I love it so much that I drink it black. I love it so much that I'm cranky in the morning without it. I love it so much that I now get heart palpitations after a few too many cups. It's a good thing I don't like coffee.

But the old wive's tale that drinking hot tea in hot weather makes you feel cooler, is a crock. I can't live without it, so I make pitchers of iced tea to satisfy my cravings. It's been so hot around here lately that I've been perfecting my recipe enough to share it with you! Hope you like it!


1. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over 4 tea bags in a heat safe bowl or pitcher.
2. Let steep for about 20 minutes.
3. Remove tea bags and add about 5 tablespoons of sugar (depending on how sweet you like your tea - you can always add more later - see tip below)
4. Squeeze in half a lemon.
5. Fill the rest of your pitcher with cold water (approximately 4 cups)
6. Serve over ice and enjoy!

Tip: If you find it's not sugary enough after it has cooled, dissolve a little more sugar with a little boiling water to make a syrup. It will mix better.

We've been experimenting with flavored iced teas too by adding one tea bag of a fruity tea like peach or raspberry. It's delicious and a natural sweetner. But I recommend still using 4-5 black tea bags, as the fruity teas aren't strong enough... for me anyways.

Cheers!

2 comments

Kristy said...

Using honey to sweeten the tea is a good option too. I make iced green tea with lemon and honey all the time!

Erin said...

Thanks for the tip Kristy! I've been meaning to try iced green tea. For some reason, I don't like the taste of honey in tea though. Not sure why, because I like it in some other strange combinations, like with peanut butter on toast. mmm.