Hamilton Happenings

As you can see, I'm trying to make this a regular feature on my blog. Bear with me as I explain a little bit as to why.

Hamilton is the city I grew up in, couldn't wait to get away from as a teenager, and returned to make my home again a year ago. It's a city that often gets a bad rap from neighbouring locales. Known all too well for the smokestacks that line the major highway people drive en route to Toronto, it's been called many dirty, smelly names. I always chalked those comments up to ignorance, people never taking the initiative to drive into the city to see what it and we actually have to offer. But Hamiltonians themselves hold an enormous amount of bitterness and negativity towards their own city too, especially the downtown core. I'm not condemning. Remember, I couldn't wait to get out.

Once I started dating Mikey J, I found myself back in the city much more often (eventually moving here) and looking at it with a whole new perspective... a city with an amazing farmer's market, vibrant arts scene, beautiful architecture, and blossoming neighbourhoods.
 
A friend of mine once said, Hamilton has a lot to offer, you just have to find it. And it's so true. The city is what you make it. Take the effort to know your city. Find out what's going on and get off your couch and participate. You may be surprised at what you find. After all, this is your home... make it one!

So there you have it. Every couple weeks I'm going to try to give you a few ideas of things to do in Hamilton, to hopefully open the city up to you in a new way and support the city's growth at the same time. For all you non-Hamiltonians, I hope it inspires you to explore where you live in the same way!

Up this week, three of my favourite things.... vintage, books, and art.


I discovered this lovely shop when I first joined Etsy and was curious to see some local artisans. I was pleasantly surprised to find this shop, run by sister team Sarah and Cassandra, which sells vintage clothes at amazingly affordable prices! When it came to opening my own shop, I contacted them for advice and they were incredibly helpful and encouraging.

This Saturday they are hosting a clothing sale at their home. I'm so excited to meet them and to get the opportunity to try on some items I've had my eye on. Plus, there's snackies and sangria! Who can say no to that? Check out their shop and the party details on their blog.


The Hamilton Public Library has their spring book sale all this week. I am always overwhelmed by the amount of books at these sales and end up buying way more than I need. I have many unread books from the fall sale, but how can you resist bestsellers at $1 a pop?

Check it out daily until Saturday on the bottom floor of the City Centre (former Eaton's Centre). More info here.

buckscountyframes


This is a really cool and unique event where art is auctioned off in exchange for volunteer hours. The event takes place Thursday, April 22nd at McMaster Innovation Park. More info and tickets here.


The art featured here is a piece you will find at the event and is from my talented friend Paul Richard James. It could be yours! Visit his website to see more of his inspring art. FYI... he now offers painting classes from his Atelier at Bold and Locke. An incredible opportunity.

Have a good weekend everyone!

2 comments

thelasthurrah said...

Woo hoo. I love your features on Hamilton Happenings. Great idea! Looking forward to meeting you at the party as well!

thelasthurrah said...

Hey!! We posted about the party and gave you some links! Check it out!

www.thelasthurrahvintage.blogspot.com