Keeping It Cozy


A Linden Sweatshirt, a crochet hat and a cuddly cat. If that's not a recipe for cozy, I don't know what is. Since we're back to winter temperatures again today, it seems like a good time to share two of my comfiest, coziest makes of the season. (Guest appearance by my crazy cat, Pekoe, who wouldn't leave me alone during this photo shoot.)

This is my very first Linden and I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to try. It's been out since October 2014! Perhaps I was just waiting for the perfect fabric to cross my path, because as soon as I saw this super soft, flecked fleece come in at Needlework, suddenly the Linden was all I could think about. I whipped it up in a couple of days after buying the fabric, and I've been living in it ever since. It was super quick to sew too, only took me a couple of hours. I'm thinking it's because there are no hems to fiddle with. Bands for the win!

And before you dismiss a boring old sweatshirt, my husband declared this his favourite thing that I've sewn in awhile. So there ya go. Bringing sexy back, one sweatshirt at a time.




Construction Notes

  • My friend Liz advised to go one or two sizes down and I'm glad I listened. My measurements fit between 4 and 6 -- I cut a size 2 and it fits pretty perfectly, and actually still quite roomy in the middle.
  • Shortened the sleeves by 2 inches.
  • The bottom band cinches in more than others I've seen, but that might have been a result of the ribbing I chose. It still could stretch out too. I'm not mad at it.
  • Fabric: fleece and ribbing both from Needlework 



As for the hat, it was a delight to crochet especially in this beautiful Malabrigo merino I picked up as an early birthday present for myself from HandKnit.

The pattern runs pretty large, both wide and long. It's crocheted as a rectangle that you join at the back and gather at the top, so the width can easily be adjusted at the end, but the length cannot. I found that it looked best on me by just turning the edge up, but if I didn't want that, I would've had to shorten the length by a couple of inches. Just so you know.

Of course as soon as I finished, the weather turned unseasonably warm. I'm almost happy for the return of the cold so I can get more wear out of it!

And one last shot of my crazy cat, just because.

No comments