Meet Your Maker: Ingeborg Krebs

Is it just me, or is there something irresistible about little things? Baby socks, mini cupcakes, teacup pigs? All adorable in their teeny tiny ways. If you're with me, I have a treat for you today. Let me introduce to you Ingeborg Krebs, of Inge's Minis. Inge is an artist that takes miniatures to the next level, creating works of art like bobbin lace, cross-stitch, macrame and weaving at a one-inch scale! These types of fibre arts are seriously impressive under normal circumstances, I'm stunned by Inge's skill in being able to craft such tiny versions! As if this wasn't cool enough, Inge only does this part time. Most of her time is devoted to raising alpacas and sheep for wool and fibre on her gorgeous farm in the foothills of Oregon's Cascade Mountains. Umm... wow?! I was so intrigued by all of this, I just had to learn more, and I'm so pleased that Ingeborg agreed to share... a mini interview about minis. Haha!


WHO are you? Tell me a bit about yourself and your work.
I grew up in Germany and came to the USA in 1985. My professional life was in the medical field. Also, there I was intrigued by small things when I worked in a laboratory for electron microscopy.

WHAT inspires you?
The interest in making doll house miniatures started when I learned to make bobbin lace about 10 years ago. I was fascinated by the clear and crisp structure of the lace and the fact that I was able to make lace. So I tried out thinner threads which made the lace smaller and one day I thought that would actually look nice in a doll house. But then I also wanted to try out other craft techniques like wood work, cross stitch, macrame, basket weaving in miniature. I am fascinated by small things and I am always looking for things that can be done in miniature. Some times it can be done and some times not.


I started selling my crafts several years ago. I am taking part in the NW Miniature Show in Portland, OR once a year, and I am selling at the Saturday Market and Holiday Market in Eugene, OR. In March of last year I opened my Etsy shop first for the miniature things and then a second shop for the wool from our animals.

WHERE do you work? Describe your workspace.
I have a workroom in the house where I can make almost all of my miniatures. To do the wood work I have a work bench in the conservatory.


WHY do you do what you do?
I love to work with my hands and to create things that I like.

HOW do you do what you do? Describe your creative process and/or your typical work day?
On a typical day, I work in the garden, with the animals and their wool for most of the day. In the evenings and whenever I can in between, I work with the miniatures. Lately I started using hand-spun wool from my animals to weave miniature rugs. So now I am able to combine my two passions.


Thanks so much, Inge!

If you'd like to learn more about Ingeborg's art, please visit her website, IngesMinis (her miniatures Etsy shop) and TimberwolfWool (her wool and fibre Etsy shop).

No comments