March Madness


There couldn't be a better day to come out of hibernation. It's sunny and 15 degrees here today! I feel almost guilty to be so looking forward to spring, since it's been the mildest winter in my memory, but even without snow, boots and longjohns, I still long for fresh air, bare feet, and patios. Don't you? Another sign that spring is on the way, Mikey J started our seedlings last weekend and a few have already sprouted! Fresh veggies coming soon!

In case you're curious as to how I've been spending my hibernation, I haven't slept it away (although I have been relishing 8 hours a night). I've mostly been keeping busy tinkering away at little projects that got pushed to the side for the last few months: mending, organizing, researching. It's a long list, but I'm slowly getting through it one task at a time. It's pretty satisfying.

I've also spent a good deal of time tackling my bookkeeping, which is no easy task after ignoring it for six months, I'll tell you. I've recently realized that organization and record-keeping are two completely different things and I'm pretty terrible at one of them. This realization did not come easily. I'm not going to lie, there were tears... followed by sobs... followed by doubts about having a business at all. It was not my finest hour. But the good news is that that breakdown forced me to recognize the problem and to sort out a process that actually works for me. I think having a partner is key. It better work, because I don't think I can go through that every year.

Business is hard. Spring is better.

No comments