Hamilton Happenings: The Beehive


The end of February and March is typically my least favourite time of year. I reach my lowest lows due to lack of sunlight, fresh produce and general will to live. But last week an announcement was made that peaked my interest and excitement to unprecedented heights: a group of talented, enthusiastic young women have formed the Beehive, a craft and urban homesteading collective right here in Hamilton. In their words, they will be "focusing on handmade, DIY, and sustainability." I've been buzzing ever since! (Get it? Buzzing!)

Their first project is a juried craft fair this August 12-13th, corresponding with the James North Art Crawl. A few days prior to this announcement, I firmly decided that Dear Edna was not ready to participate in any fairs, markets or shows this summer. But it's pretty hard to resist when one sets up right in your backyard! I'm still on the fence, as all the pre-Beehive fears and misgivings still taunt me, but there are just as many positives urging me towards it as well. This would mark my very first craft fair, so if you have any advice, or pros or cons to add, please share. Pretty please! In the meantime, I better start building my inventory.

If you're interested in participating, you can find the application here.

I can't wait to see what else the Beehive has up their sleeves!

3 comments

Susie Morphet said...

I don't have any advice, or pros or cons to add. But I will offer my assistance to help get you ready! In whatever form that assistance is required. (obviously not in the form of sewing, don't worry faithful Dear Edna shoppers)

Bess Callard said...

DOOOO IT! The Puces Pop show this weekend will be my first craft show too, and although I would way rather be there as a shopper, in my heart of hearts I'm glad I took the leap. I'll let you know how it goes, but in the meantime - apply to the Beehive, it sounds super cool!! xox

Erin said...

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I will definitely be enlisting your help, so get ready for it. :)