Office Space

You may remember me mentioning my office redecorating project here. As a full-time editor and part-time business owner, I spend the majority of the day (and night and weekends) here, so this space is very important to me. From the start, Mikey and I had a clear vision of what this room would be: office/library/lounge, something we've both always dreamed of having in our home. We made a lot of changes in a short amount of time and then quit. A year later and we've decided to revisit the room and put the final touches on it. However, the more we thought about it, the more we realized how much has changed in the last year and how our original vision simply was not practical anymore. A year ago our dining table was not being used as a cutting board, there wasn't a trail of thread going up the stairs, and our closet was full of bedding, not fabric, pillow forms and packing supplies. We need to make this a functional space for Dear Edna.

I'm not gonna lie, it was hard to part with the vision of a dreamy library that I've had for almost two years. But, the more I sat with the idea, the more it made sense and the more one plan was exchanged for an entirely new one. Besides, as a good friend of mine pointed out, how many places do you need to read? I've been scouring the net for inspiration. Here's what I'm thinking...

A beautiful, feminine, antique writing desk for my computer and my day job. This is something we've been searching for from day one. The trouble is finding an antique writing desk that has storage and is wide enough to keep my wide-screen monitor far enough from my face that I don't go cross-eyed.
Sources: feminine reveries, design*sponge, Homes & Gardens

I'm also constantly drawn to rustic/industrial wood furniture and am seriously loving this set from Anthropologie. However, since the condo began as a bachelor pad, I'm constantly trying to lighten it up and add some femininity. The office is my chance to do it, so perhaps I should stay away for dark wood and steel hmm?

I'm always lusting after big shelving walls. It goes along with the library love. These two gorgeous rooms got me thinking about putting a few high shleves on one wall, with either a long desk or console underneath for my sewing machine and cutting mat. Sources: design*sponge, House & Home

Here are some beautiful examples of classic long tables and desks. Daisy Jane's tall island (lower centre) got me thinking about putting a table in the middle of the room rather than against the wall. A table with fold-down capabilities could be especially functional here to allow more space for entertaining when needed.

I clearly have some more decisions to make and furniture stores to search, but I think it's a step in the right direction. And my excitement over being able to contain my business (and my mess) all in one organized area has eased the momentary grief over losing a lounge.

I'm a terrible decision-maker, so please help me out, weigh in on my ideas so far and/or share your home office decor stories in the comments below.

3 comments

Susie Morphet said...

I love the antique femine top look! But also really like the top right picture in the last set.
Are you going to keep your gorgeous couch up there?

Erin said...

We'll get rid of the big leather couch to make room for the "gorgeous" couch downstairs. How many couches does one condo need?

Unknown said...

great post!